Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The joy of cleaning house? really there is joy?


Fall Cleaning in August

It has been a nice quiet day. The weather even cooperated; it was very comfortable we didn’t need the A/C or even a fan. It bothers me how much I sleep now a days but I take it has being part of the illness.

I want to thank all of you for letting me know that you do read my blog. I accept that the blog “dashboard” which is supposed to tell me how many have read each posting just doesn’t work.  

Although I slept well last night I just couldn’t get busy and do much today. But I did get a couple of things done. I am trying to take the attitude that as long as I get one or two things done each day then I have done well. 

One of my nieces is working on cleaning out her house and the other day she posted on facebook that she threw out 200 items. I am amazed at her success in this project. I think in some ways I need her determination. I don’t want to leave a big mess for the kids to clean out after I’ve passed. The things that I feel the strongest about I want to pass on to someone who would also appreciate them. At times doing this gets very emotional but the thought of the item being put in the trash is worse. At times what I need is inspiration to figure out who would be the right person to give an item to. Little by little that is coming to me and when it does I feel really good about it.



                                          

3 comments:

  1. Oh Suzie, throwing 200 items away is as easy as 4 decks of cards!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzie,
    My Grandma had several solutions to passing on her "wealth" of objects: 1) we held several tea parties - Ladies only, please(think dresses, hats & scones!). One party was to distribute her large collection of tea cups & saucers, the second was to give away all her pretty glassware, the third was for jewelry (not the "good stuff", but the two grocery bags of tag sale jewelry and the fourth was to give away 1/2 an attic full of "stuff". We girls have continued the tea parties once every couple of years and are now passing around our own "stuff" to each other.
    2) She asked each of us what furniture or other item we wanted and wrote it down in a book (my other Grandmother has put tags on the bottom of the items we've asked for)
    3) Whatever went un-wanted was donated to Goodwill/Salvation Army.
    I realize that you may not feel up to hostessing a party, but you might find that sort of thing fun in small doses - 3 or 4 people over to sort through some of the treasures and take what they feel they'll enjoy most. And, of course, you can always gift things directly. Laurie

    ReplyDelete