Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Two Day Update


For years I have heard other people say that Monday is the worst day of the week. I never thought that way until yesterday. It was a rotten day; the pain was so bad that I got nothing done. I had to call and leave a message for the doctor. I don’t know yet if I have a urinary tract infection or has the cancer spread to my left kidney. That is just one of the reasons for calling the doctor’s office.
A nurse called me back. She was great we were able to discuss the changes in my conditions and she gave me instruction and then consulted with the doctor, who then prescribes the medications that I need. Due to yesterday being such a rotten day I chose not to even try to put a post on my blog. I trust that my friends and family understand.
Today, Tuesday, has been a much better day. I went to see the head of Radiation Oncologist at the D’Amour Center. We went over why radiation therapy is the best action for me at this time. We also went into an in depth talk about exactly how this therapy works. So now I add yet another doctor to my list of doctors. I liked this man, he was gentle when he examined me, and he never talked over my head.
On Friday I have two doctor appointments, first I see my primary oncology doctor, than I see the radiologist to get “marked” so that next week we can start therapy. At this time the doctor feels I will have 3 weeks of 10 minute treatments. However, this is a starting plan. After they do the special CT Scan on Friday it could be refined.
The radiology doctor explained how the radiation will start a chain reaction inside my tumor that will cause it to shrink. However, it may take 2 or 3 months after the therapy ends for the tumor to shrink as far as it is going to.
I have found that I have needed to have my pain medication increased because the original dose was no longer keeping the pain at a tolerable level. Many of you have said you think I am an inspiration, and courageous. Well, I want all of you to know that when it comes to pain I am a wimp!!
I am very grateful that Monday treatment will actually get started. I also must say that I am very grateful to the way you, my family and friends are standing by me. That gives me a great deal of strength to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment