Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Pow Wow" Results


The “Pow Wow” Results

I have to say thank the Lord, the doctors really didn’t make me wait too long to hear the results of their “pow wow”. Dr. Hu called me at about 10 am this morning. She asked how my pain was right off. I told her that it has gotten worse and I need to take the medication more often. She was not surprised.

They believe that there is internal bleeding into the tumor causing the increased pain. Due to this bleeding, the size of the tumor, and the difficulty of reaching the adrenal gland they do not feel surgery of any kind is what is best for me at this time.

They want to use radiation therapy to shrink the tumor and after that reassess whether or not surgery is an option for me. I really like how the want to reassess before taking that next step. I don’t feel like this is being treated like a cookie cutter, one size fits all treatment plans. I feel like I am an individual with unique needs. That makes me feel very good.

Unfortunately, it will take about two weeks before the actual therapy starts. Next Tuesday I go in for a consult with the head of radiology therapy. Then I will learn a lot more about what has to be done before they start the therapy.

Although it seems like the world is moving in slow motion I must say at least it is moving. I must admit it would scare me if they moved to fast.

I am relieved to hear the results and anxious for next Tuesday’s appointment. I hope it won’t take long to get the therapy started.

If any of you have had radiation therapy and are comfortable talking about it I would like to know what I am in for. The unknown is terrifying to me. Knowing what to expect would help to calm me down.

Thanks again for caring enough to follow this blog, and for those of you who have figured out how to comment on it thanks. I have no guides to give to those of you who have said they have tried to place comments but don’t know how. My only suggestion is to ask someone you know who is VERY computer savvy.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, glad to hear you've got some news and an action plan. It's always easier when you know where you're headed.
    One suggestion for all your friends who want to post comments -- you need to have a way of identifying yourself to blogger -- a gmail account is easiest. Then just type in the comment, click in the "comment as" box and sign in with your gmail,click publish, then type in the security code (that's the hard part :)and click publish again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue,
    I have been following your updates...thanks for sharing! It is good to hear that there is a definitive treatment plan and that you are comfortable with the plan and your doctors. This core knowledge will help a lot on those days that are more difficult.
    ...Thinking about you every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From everything I've read and seen (which is actually quite a lot, given my past job), radiation therapy is not too bad to deal with. It's not like chemo, with nausea, vomiting and hair loss. You will likely have skin dryness and itching at the site of radiation, but not too much more than that. Often, in the cases I've read, the results, in terms of shrinking the tumor, can be rapid. I hope they can get this thing down to a manageable size quickly. In the meantime, are they doing a good job helping you deal with the pain? Pain is treatable and they should provide you with good and fairly complete pain relief so you can get the rest you need and keep up your strength. If you are not sleeping well, talk to them and let them know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yasmin,
    Thanks ever so much for the encouragement. I am trying to keep uplifting music and books around me. That is helping a great deal. I expect to have bad days but I pray that the Lord will help to keep them from being too bad.

    Jimbo,

    The first thing the doctor asked me about was my pain level. At this point the meds don't take the pain completely away, but they do reduce the pain enough to be acceptable and I am able to sleep. From what the doctors have said until the tumor starts to shrink from treatment pain medication will not take away the pain caused by the pressure the tumor is causing. That makes a lot of sense to me. I am taking the pain medication more than I was last week and the doctor is okay with that.
    I have also been told that I could end up with a slight "sunburn" in the area where they do the radiation therapy. But to me that is okay. It is much better than doing nothing.
    It is great to hear from you and know that you are following my progress from the south pacific. I will call the doctors if I need more pain meds or sleeping pills. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Suzie,
    glad to know they have a plan, and it seems like you have a good relationship with your doctor, that's a really good thing! My friends mom is going through radiation right now, for cervical cancer, she is doing pretty well. says its time consuming- she goes 5 days a week, and that it makes her tired and kinda achy. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting, I have no idea yet how often I will need to go in for my therapy. I think I will find that out on Tuesday. I really appreciate you sharing that information with me. Yes, I do feel that I have a good relationship with my doctors.
    So far they seem to think I am intelligent, caring, and sense-able. None of them have figured out that I am a stubborn, crazy, ole lady. But give them time and they will figure it out. Love you too!!!

    ReplyDelete