Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Just a note about Cancer's limits

My niece Becky sent this to me via facebook, and I "love" it so much I wanted to be sure all of you who are reading my blog got to see it. I totally agree with what it says.  I will not allow cancer to interfere with any of these things in my life. I hope the ideas expressed there will help you or others that you know that might need that reminder.

Sending posts like this to my facebook page is a great way to show your support. It is the same in my mind has sending me a card.

So far today I am getting a lot of phone calls made. I also have taken to making a lot of notes about which doctor I saw when and the general jest of the visit. I don't know if in a year from now I might have to re-qualify for SSI or not. A friend of mine has to do that every two years and one of the things she needs is a history of her medical care. Knowing this I thought I should start right now.

Each day I make myself a do list and then I see what I can get done. If it doesn't get done then I will work on it tomorrow. I think it is very important for me to have things to do each day. But it is also important for me to pace myself while I work on these things.  I think most people have a good feeling at the end of the day when they can say they got done what they wanted or needed to do. I know that is how I feel today.

A friend of mine once asked me the following question: "How do you eat the worlds largest chocolate chip cookie?" The answer is:"One bite at a time." I have projects that I want to complete, I have tried to divide them up into bite size tasks that will help me complete the rather large projects. But by doing so I do not feel overwhelmed with what I am trying to do.

I hope all of you had a good day today, may we all have a good one tomorrow also.



2 comments:

  1. As for "requalifying" for SSI-you should not have to do that. You're over 55, so they should set a "7 year diary" for re-evaluation. In practice, that means that your case would not be reexamined. The reversal rate (the rate at which people are found not to be disabled after being disabled) for people over 55 is too small to make it worth their while.

    Right now, with reductions in state and federal work forces and the increase in the number of disability claims, re-evaluations (called CDR-Continuing Disability Reviews) are a very low priority. States are (well, were when I left), having a hard time keeping pace with initial claims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that info but to be honest it also helps me to remember who said what when for my own sanity. It is a great comfort to know that most likely I will never need it.

    ReplyDelete