Friday, March 9, 2012

New Treatment Information

Today, I saw two oncologist at the D'Amour Center for Cancer Care, here in Springfield. They have great bedside manor. We laughed several times during my visit.  Along with chemotherapy and radiation therapy they are looking to see if I am a candidate for a procedure where they block off the blood vessels to the tumor.

This would cause the tumor to shrink. They can only do this if it is done before the the cancer spreads to another organ of my body. Shortly after doing this procedure they would then do radiation therapy on the 2 lymph nodes on my neck that have been found to be cancerous. Next Tuesday a group of doctors will meet and review my medical records and tests to decided if they can safely do this. I am praying that they can do it. It sounds like a good thing.

If any of you know anything about this procedure please educate me. I will look on line later for more information. But I want to be more informed before I say yes to any treatment.

This treatment will not eliminate the need for any other form of treatment. However, this treatment could allow us to safely wait before starting some of the other treatments.

One of the oncologist that I meet with today has treated other people with this very rare form of cancer. This gives me a lot of comfort. How would not want to have an experience doctor taking care of them. I understand that I am being treated at a teaching hospital. I have no problem with students, I feel that it is a great thing for the medical world and for the patient.

This gives new doctors the experience they need, and provides an automatic 2nd opinion of the patience care.

By the way if you any of you know anything about any of the treatments for adrenal cortical cancer, or where I can learn more about them, please let me know!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment