Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Start of a new treatment.



Now I can tell you about the meeting with the Nurse Practitioner today. I am starting with an extremely low dose of this medication (Mitotane: MYE-toe-tane) also called Lysodren. It is made from some part of DDT. NO ONE can handle the pill except me, (without gloves). I also can’t cut or crush the pill, I must swallow, without chewing the pill. It is a large pill and I took the first one about 1 pm today and I was able to swallow the pill. I have been told that a little applesauce or pudding will coat both the pill and the throat making it easier to swallow the pill. 

My dose could easily change but first the doctors want to see how I tolerate the medication. My nurse practitioner is great she gave me a written list of known side effects and went over the ones that they think I should be most concerned about. We also talked about who to call and when. Another blessing is my VNA nurse came this afternoon after I got home from seeing the practitioner and we also reviewed my medications.

I am also taking a steroid with this Mitotane. This drug will stop the natural production of normally made steroids so they have to be replaced. My practitioner also went over this steroid carefully. 

One of the big side effects that I was told about was being sleepy. Boy that is very true. I have felt very tired all afternoon after an hours nap.  In fact if you find errors in this post please understand that part of it could easily be caused by the sleepiness. 

I realize that I did not post anything yesterday. I totally forgot about doing it. I think I was completely overwhelmed by concern with today’s appointment. Thank you for understanding this over sight. Also for your support while I walk this very strange path to the end of my mortal life.

I am grateful to have all of you on the sidelines cheering me on. It is very helpful to me to have you standing there for me.

2 comments:

  1. I have you on my prayer list. (you are invited to follow my blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you for keeping me in your prayers that is wonderful. It always bring me great comfort when someone I have not heard from in a long time drops me a line. Thank you for the smile this note has given me. May the Lord bless you and your family in any way you may be of need.

    ReplyDelete