Monday, April 30, 2012

Legal Thoughts


I feel much better today, both physically and emotionally. I guess I am starting to come to terms with what is happening in my life. At the moment I realize that I have spent a lot of time thinking about what I need to do to have my final arrangements in order. Although I do not own much I do not want to burden my family in anyway. I want to have some ideas put together of just what I need to talk to a lawyer about. I have a general idea about what I want for a memorial service. But I do not know any of the legal stuff that needs to be done.

Please understand I am not giving up the fight. I am simply trying to plan for the future. I believe that I will enjoy the rest of my time here on earth if I know that I have all of the legal stuff in order. I do NOT want any fighting of any kind about anything to do with me or my earthly stuff.  By having my final legal papers all in order I can then spend my time thinking about doing my genealogy and spending time with you, my family and friends. I will be able to enjoy that stuff more if I know the other is all taken care of.

I also want you to understand that I still have places to go, people to see, and things to do before I just give up on living. I have not watched the movie “The Bucket List” yet but it is on my list of things to do. I have been warned that some cancer patients find it a little too close to home to watch so when I watch it I will keep the remote handy and remember that there is such a thing has an off button. If I can get through the movie; then I will consider creating my bucket list.

The one thing that I do know that I want to do is go to the ocean and walk along the beach at sunset. And of course complete organizing my genealogy to pass on to those who are interested in it. But I am sure I can always add things to this “list”.

2 comments:

  1. Hi cousin, if you do a keyword search in your library's catalog you should come up with a dozen or more books about estate planning some with cds and printable forms. Also, I did a quick google search on estate planning -- money magazine, aarp, cornell law, and various other places all have some free articles and resources to help you get all your ducks in a row.

    One article I read a while back suggested that you give away all the personal "stuff" to the kids, friends, whomever as you go along (or at least talk to them and find out who really wants what) that way there won't be any squabbling over the antique flower vase or whatever. Although I can't see your sons doing that. I guess you never know. ;)

    It's definitely a good idea to think about this stuff now and get it out of the way. That way later on you can just focus on yourself when you need to. Practical and focused, two qualities I've always admired in you.
    All my love. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cousin, there have been times when I have felt that being practical and focused have made me a very dull person. But I actually have enjoyed most of my life. Thanks for the suggestions I will look into those things and see what I need to put together. I am so glad that despite the age difference between you, Vicki and I we have all gotten to know each other. I feel blessed to have you and your sister has cousins. Love, Crazy Suzie

    ReplyDelete