Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Finished, It's DONE!


Radiation is Completed !!!

Now this is only talking about radiation on the main tumor on my left adrenal gland.

I want to take a moment to tell all of you that I am receiving my care at the D’Amour Center for Cancer Care, here in Springfield, Ma.  The people that I have dealt with in the radiation department have been wonderful. The table that a patient is required to lay on is very hard, however, the technicians try to make me comfortable. For me it simply meant two or three facecloths placed upon the form where I need to rest my head. If they didn’t think of it I could ask for it and feel good about doing so. The team that are running machine two where wonderful for me.  I feel that everyone I have dealt with there have great knowledge about their job and compassion for the patient.

Now there is a large growth at the base of my neck, on the left.  When the radiation was selected for treatment of the adrenal gland the lymph nodes on my neck where hard to find. However, now these lymph nodes are large enough to be spotted from across the room. These lymph nodes where biopsied and they are cancerous, a spread from the adrenal gland.

On Friday I will see my primary Oncologist and we will start talking about what course of action will be best for these lymph nodes. If they feel that I need another round of radiation on that location I want to have the same team work on me. That’s just how nice those ladies are!

I think that anyone who has gone through anything like this will agree with me that the little things are very important in making a person comfortable. I must face the fact that there is no cure for the form of cancer I have. All they can hope to provide me with is “palliative” care. That is care that keeps the patient comfortable for whatever is left of their life. For myself I pray to be comfortable enough to complete organizing my genealogy so that I can pass it on to anyone in the family that would like a copy. I would rather enjoy whatever time I have left and do things that just lay in bed and watch the world go by around me.

Thank you one and all for your thoughts, prayers, cards, posts on facebook, hugs and other shows of support. These are the things I want the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment