Friday, July 20, 2012

Rainy Day Relief


Today I saw my primary oncologist and she are pleased with how I am doing. There was a mention of doing another round of chemotherapy. The doctors don’t want to do it because it is too difficult for most patients to tolerate. I have to think about this but they have no real benefit they can tell me about so I am leaning toward saying no. But I will think about it for a few days.
From what the doctors hinted at if I did do another round of chemo I would have to do it soon or it would be too late. She told me most patients just can’t tolerate the treatment. I also got the feeling that it would destroy the quality of what life I have and there would be very little if any benefit to be gained. I see no reason for putting myself through that.
Thankfully the heat wave is over and we are enjoying a cool rainy day today. I have found that going out to the doctors makes me very tired and even a little dizzy. There is no way I could go to any all-day event like the Scottish Games. I will miss doing things like this. I didn’t do them that often but I sure enjoyed the occasional outings when I did go.
I have found that I need to take a very long time to eat in order for my body to like it. But that is okay with some foods. I know that I will be going to bed very early today. I have also noticed that I am in more pain this afternoon and evening then I have been in since I came home from the hospital. I hope this is not going to be the new normal. I am grateful for my PCA and the break through pain it helps me deal with.

2 comments:

  1. Doctors tend to push towards doing SOMETHING, even it's not certain to help. Because of their training and their natural bias towards wanting to help everyone, they rarely recommend doing nothing. You need to decide what is best for you in your circumstances. It seems like you're doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in February when I was diagnosed with the cancer, that doctor told me that other doctors would not tell me that I have the option to have no treatment but that I should always remember that. I have remember what he said and I am the one with the final say. I want quality of life! Thanks for your encouragement to say no.

    ReplyDelete