Friday, June 8, 2012

Treatment Plan Change


Change of Treatment

It is a beautiful day, weather wise, a nice dry sunny day, and after a week of rain this is great.

I feel really good and I am back from the doctors. I saw three doctors. They all agree that the mass on my neck has gotten larger. That clearly tells us that the chemotherapy is not working. The doctors say that I understand very well what is happening in my throat. The mass is clearly pressing against the esophagus and interfering with my ability to eat. So it is time to change my treatment plan.

On Monday I will have two different types of CT scan’s the first one is going to let them know exactly what changes have occurred within my body since they found the cancer back in February. The second CT Scan is to mark my throat in preparation for a new round of radiation. The first round of radiation was aimed at the tumor on the adrenal gland,(left one on top of the left kidney), this round of radiation will be aimed at the mass on the left side of my throat. I do not know yet just how soon the radiation therapy will start. The radiation oncologist was refreshingly honest with me and told me that this treatment may NOT work. He cannot guarantee that I will be able to eat solid foods after this round of treatment. I like it when doctors are truthful with me but at least we have something that we can try. I want to try this and I will pray for the Lord to bless me that this works at least for a while.

While we are waiting for the radiation to start and hopefully work the doctor is putting me on a prescription for Ensure Clear. My health insurance will not cover it if I go through my local drug store. Therefore my doctor is calling a local medical supply house and is going to get it through them, this place will even deliver it to the house.

Just to be on the safe side on the ride home from the doctor’s office we stopped and bought some of the Ensure because I didn’t have any left at the house. I am very glad that I did. The doctor called and she is having a little trouble getting through to Louis and Clark and may not be able to place the order until Monday. This way I will have some to get me through the weekend.

Now I have found that foods the consistency of a banana or mashed potatoes seems to stay down. Tonight Mom is going to make twice baked potatoes and use the hand mixer to make sure the mashed potatoes are very well mashed. I told her how I had often fixed mashed potatoes and added mashed carrots to them and that I really liked it. I asked if she would mind doing at least my portion that way tonight. She said we can all eat it that way it sounds good.

The doctors want me to eat whatever solid foods I can manage to keep down. If any of you have ideas about ways that we can cook foods so that they are the texture of mash potatoes and can give me a greater variety of foods that I can eat I would be very grateful. My idea of mixing the potato and carrots was to help me get a greater variety of food and nutrients into my ole body. I have lost almost 30 lbs. since the first of this year and this is a very rough way to lose weight.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Suzie,
    What a ride. Steamed cauliflower mashes up just like potatoes if you cook it long enough -- my mother in law did that once by accident for Christmas dinner. No one could tell them apart. And if you mix the two together, well, lets just say my kids have eaten more cauliflower than they realize. You can do the same thing with broccoli. You might want to just use the broccoli stems and avoid the flowers which don't puree as well and always have some texture.
    I'll keep thinking and let you know what I come up with. Always praying for you. Love, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to suggest cauliflower mash too, with lot of butter. Also mashed sweet potatoes and squashes like acorn and butternut. I like the taste of baking the sweet potatoes and squash. The sweet potatoes can be baked just like reg. potatoes, I bake them and mash the insides up with laughing cow cheese wedges but any soft cheese would work, I have also used goat cheese,yum. The Squash I poke holes in all around and bake whole 350 for 30 min or so, then I cut it in half and bake until soft maybe 15-20 min more. I mash it up with laughing cow cheese to. If you are looking for something sweet you can mash all of these with brown sugar, butter, cinnamon. I like them savory:) these veggies are super good for you. I will think on this, my favorite texture for foods is mashed potato like:) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy and Sarah,

    Great Idea's, I had learned about cauliflower at Weight Watchers, but the rest of the ideas are going to be great thanks for the tip on not using the broccoli flowers. I will try all of these over the coming weeks.

    Mom is being great about this. When she makes the shopping list now we talk about what can Suzie eat. I think it gives her a way of feeling like she is able to help with my care by cooking the foods I need the way I need them cooked. I also feel that it is a great way for her to support me through this.

    I question just how much protein I will get this way but I just need to remind my son Don that he was going to get me some protein powder at a friend's shop. I am thinking I could add that to most of what you've suggested.

    Thanks again for your loving support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you can manage a grain like quinoia or amaranth they are both very high in protein. You can cook them up like a porridge and make it thin (don't say gruel) and then make them savory with butter and herbs or sweet with honey or jam. I'm not sure about the texture, but it might be worth the experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you marinade a chicken breast in some kind of acid- vinegar, salad dressing, citrus juice, and then bake or steam it until it is just done but still very moist, you might be able to puree it and mix it with mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower and get some protein that way. Adding cheese will also give protein. I think about you and pray for you every day. Love you, Suzie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy; I have never heard of those grains but I will look into them and I am willing to experiment. When we've done that I'll let you know how it goes.

    Vicky; thank you for the idea with the chicken I will also try that. I spoke to Don Jr today and he said he will get me the protein powder tomorrow. That will be a big help. His wife Mary is going to cook up some "roots" that they eat a lot of down in PR and bring them over for me to try. I am looking forward to trying these new foods.

    Thanks to both of you for your prayers and ideas, this support is great.

    ReplyDelete