Friday, June 15, 2012

Rewarding Day


Treatment Change

This morning I received a call from my radiation oncologist’s nurse and my first visit for the new round of treatment has been changed from Monday to Wednesday of next week. The doctor needed to make a change and that requires the medical physicists to redo at least part of their work and that will take them until next Tuesday to complete correctly. Calibrating for this type of radiation is a very complex procedure. I would rather wait three days and make sure they have it right than take a chance. While I was talking to the nurse I told her how anxious I am about wearing the head mask. I then asked her if the doctor would be willing to give me a prescription for something to help me be calm. She said he would and that it is not uncommon to for him to do this for his patients. The doctor will review what scripts I currently take and write a script for something that I can safely take. I am mildly concerned about drug interaction. Between my doctor checking for that and then having my pharmacist doing the same I am sure I will be fine.

I should explain that this next appointment is a dry run to check the markings on the mask with the calculations. And on Wednesday I will learn how long each treatment will take, how often I will have them and just how many he wants me to have. It is so reassuring to be able to talk to these doctors and nurses about any concerns I have. It is another part of what is putting me at ease with dealing with this cancer. The biggest reassurance actually comes from YOU my friends and family standing by and supporting me. I am surprised at just how large and deep this circle of people actually is. It is truly wonderful.

I think I did a silly thing this afternoon. I felt so tired that I couldn’t keep my eyes open so I laid down and took a nap, but I never thought to put my oxygen back on. I ended up sleeping for almost 2 ½ hrs. I wonder if I would not have slept a shorter time and felt better if I had put the oxygen back on. The next time I feel tired like that I will try to remember that it is a sign that my body may need more oxygen than I am getting off the machine. Your right I find the thing annoying, but it is much better than not breathing! I will adjust. I have it on NOW.

Hurray, I just completed my first course, on Military Records and how to use them to do genealogy research. I really learned a lot and enjoyed taking the one lesson. Now to go back and decide what to take next.


No comments:

Post a Comment