Monday, June 11, 2012

2 CT Scan's in 1 Dayt


Busy Monday

It started with a trip down to the hospital to have a contrasted CT Scan. This is to compare what was there back in February to how my cancer is now. It will be 2 or 3 days before I expect to hear anything from my doctors. It could take that long for the radiologist gets the chance to read the scan and write up the report, and then send it to the doctors.

Then I got home and had a visit from my VNA Nurse, she is really good. She wants me to have a consult with a speech pathologist. She says that by learning exercises to strengthen my jaw and tongue I could learn how to swallow differently and therefore get more food into my stomach. Sounds, like it is worth checking out, what have I got to lose.

I now have the protein drink to try. Also Mary sent over some breakfast food for me to try tomorrow different ways she fixes cream of wheat, and baking soda. Sounds strange but I will try it I have nothing to lose.

The medical supply store called asked for insurance information and left the message that it could take up to three weeks before I can get the script filled. It takes that long for the insurance company to approve it. Mind you meanwhile how much I can eat is VERY limited. I hate insurance, even when I worked for them I hated how they operate.

Then I went to D’Amour for the 2nd CT Scan. This one is to mark my body for the next -round of radiation. Only that isn’t exactly what happened. First I had a great talk with my doctor. I explained to him that Mom is very concern about my ability to breath. He asked if she was able to come in with me and when I said yes he asked to see her. He wants to talk to her himself and put her fears to rest in the meantime he said she did not need to worry. Then I worked with the technicians. They explained to me before they started what they were going to do to me and why. Because it is VERY important that a patient be in the same position each time they come in for radiation they have learned that when it is the throat they have to do things very differently. They had to create a mask of my head! I will have to wear it each time I get a treatment. But this will keep my head and neck in just the right position. Also instead of me walking around with goofy marks on my face the marks are placed on the mask. If a person is claustrophobic this would be very difficult. To be honest I don’t think of myself has being claustrophobic but towards the end of this process I was just starting to feel a little panicky. So I think that the next, round of treatments, are going to be a little harder to handle than the last one was. But if that is what I need to do I believe that I can make it through it.

Mom was very happy to hear that she does not need to worry and that the doctor wants to talk to HER. I tell you I have great doctors. What a wonderful doctor that will take the time to talk to my mom and help put her fears to rest. I don’t think I could find better care anywhere else. I am very grateful for this blessing in my life. I hope that my having this confidence in this doctor will help my Mom to believe in him also. I feel very hopeful about the coming round of radiation. I was told to expect a very sore throat through all this, but told they would help me deal with the sore throat. So I believe that with God’s help, and your continued prayers for me,  I can get through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment