Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Results of the CT Scan's


CT Scan Results

My doctor called me today with the results of the first CT scan. It confirmed what we knew about the mass on my neck being larger. It also showed that the tumor on my adrenal gland was the same size has before. So I believe that this means that the radiation did prevent the growth of that tumor. Radiation was only done on the adrenal tumor and not on the mass on my neck when we did the first round. This new round of radiation will be focused on the mass on my neck.  The doctor in charge of the radiation intends to use a higher amount of radiation for this round. He says it is not the highest level that could be used, but he believes it is the correct level for this exact case.

I liked being told that. I really trust this man. I believe that between him and his team, a physicists and some sort of engineers and other technicians that they will calculate the correct amount of radiation to treat ME. It was interesting yesterday to learn that it would take a full week to do all those calculations, it is not just about how much radiation but also about exactly were to have the beam aimed on the mass.

I would like to clarify that there will be no “results” so to speak from the 2nd ct scan. The results there will be where to aim the radiation, how much radiation to use and how many treatments I need. I expect to be given that information next Monday when I receive my first treatment of the new round. Again the hard part will be wearing the head mask for each treatment.

The doctor wants me to drink nutritional supplements to keep up my weight and body strength through all of this. She tried to get me a prescription for Ensure Clear. No way, the insurance company says no they won’t pay that bill. Instead we have to choose between Ensure Enlive or Resource Breeze. I have had the Breeze the last time I was in the hospital and it tasted good and I was able to tolerate it. So the doctor is cancelling the script for the Ensure Clear and replacing it with a script for Resource’s Breeze. Her nurse told her that she thought she could get it preapproved so I am hopeful of getting that in just a couple of days.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to the insurance company for making the decision about your treatment. No way we want doctors or medical personnel making those choices. Those decisions are better left to private enterprise and to entities (e.g., an insurance company) with no ulterior motive (e.g., maximizing profit), just your individual well-being.

    Private insurance interference is the REAL "Death Panel" in our current health insurance arrangement. We need a single payer plan and death to insurance companies. Let doctors make medical decisions, not profit minded leaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I at one time worked for an insurance company, (out of need, not desire), I am total agreement with your statement. What more can anyone say. It has taken over a week to get me a nutritional drink supplement that the doctors want me to have. I get it on Saturday, I should have had it on Monday! But I made it through the week.

    ReplyDelete